Sunday, November 30, 2008

Desperate Generation

We really are a generation of desperation. As the world becomes even more corrupt, our generation is continually seeking for something to fill the void. It's come to a point of utter desperation. People are doing things that our ancestors would have never imagined in an attempt to get rid of that hopeless feeling that consumes them. Every action, every word from their mouths is a cry for help. They don't know how to handle the darkness our world has embraced. All these things you see around you - uncontrolled eating, self-mutilation, shallow relationships, eating disorders.... these are all symptoms. We need to see them for what they are, evidence for the deepest longing to be fulfilled and satisfied, a satisfaction that only comes from a knowledge of who you are in God. Our world is far from at peace. It really is a terrible joke. There is and will be no peace without God. He is the Author of peace, the Creator of a perfect world. But we cannot expect that to be how it is now. Each of us know so many who we see struggling, desperately searching for what will fulfill that longing He placed in every one of us. I choose to be desperate for more of Him. Nothing this world can offer will ever compare to the deepest fulfillment we find in Him. I think of Hannah. She is a perfect example of someone who was truly desperate for something. She cried out to God with such passion and perseverance that she was actually assumed to be drunk. I can only imagine what those people must have thought. I want that kind of faith, that passion. She knew what she wanted, and she was willing to do absolutely whatever it takes to get it. We may be the "Desperate Generation," but what side of that do you want to be on? Which side do you choose?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Kari from Insight. (I'm in the writing club)

This is a very interesting and thought-provoking blog post. You have a incredible way with words. :)

Though I would like to say, I am not a Christian...and I don't feel a void/utter desperation. I do think you are right, though, that things have changed so drastically. And there are some young people trying to fill the "void" within themselves. But I would like to argue that it may not be the lack of a deity, but rather...being a generation that wants more. Being completely unsatisfied, on top of having too much. I don't know if that makes sense...

Just food for thought! (Hope I didn't offend you, because it definitely was not my intention.)

Anonymous said...

:) Hi, this is Michelle. I'm from Insight.

I just wanted to let you know that you have an amazing way of writing!